CHRISTIANS & SECULAR HUMANISM
The primary war in our day is between Christianity and secular humanism. Some churches and culture-forming institutions such as universities and the media seem either incapable of understanding this trend or are complicit.
All who have lived five decades or more can testify that our society has changed radically during this time. While many reasons might be given, here are four that seem self-evident to close observers.
- First, many theists have generally been unaware that humanistic values have been imposed on society and have therefore not resisted them. Now that such awareness is coming, many theists either mistakenly think they can do nothing to combat humanism, or do not want to put forth the effort.
- Second, many theists, being generally unaware of humanism, have primarily talked their beliefs and have generally withdrawn from the governing of society whereby values are continually implemented through law. On the other hand, humanists, without much talk about their beliefs, have, by political activism, implemented their beliefs into laws that are now being imposed upon Christians.
- Third, many theists have generally been unaware of the use humanists have made of compulsory public schools to teach humanistic values and thus by-pass Christian parental values.
- Fourth, many theists often accommodate themselves to humanistic beliefs such as theistic evolution, scripture errors, belief that man is basically good, relying upon human alliances, thinking moral values may be relative, etc.
The Humanist Says
- Human potential and self-fulfillment to the point of excluding all need for God; it is a naturalistic philosophy based on reason, science, and end-justifies-the-means thinking.Its intent is to deprive something of its religious character. Secularists believe that man is the measure of all things, that morals are man-centered, not God-centered. Secularism promotes the idea that religion is nothing but a relic of the past.
- Natural history has replaced the supernatural creation story. Geology – not theology – explains the features of the Earth. Humanity is an accident of nature and there is no plan of salvation.
- Short of harming others or compelling them to do likewise, individuals should be permitted to express their sexual proclivities and pursue their lifestyles as they desire. Institutions like life-long marriages become mere personal choices.
Here are the warnings: “They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised” Romans 1:22-25
“See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.” Colossians 2:8
|God||Humanists usually do not believe that God even exists. Humanists believe mankind is the highest entity. (“Man is the measure of all things.”)||God is the highest Entity. God is perfect in wisdom, power, might, and love. He created us. He is to be worshiped. We love Him because He first loved us.|
|God’s Name||Uses God’s name as a byword. God’s name means nothing to the humanist, because he does not believe God exists.||Reverences God’s name. Uses God’s name only when speaking respectfully about God or when talking to God in prayer. (Exodus 20:7)|
|Jesus Christ||Jesus Christ was a mere man. He may have been an interesting teacher, who never wrote a book, never led an army or never owned anything. He may have been the best known figure in all of history, but when he died, he stayed dead like any other man.||Jesus Christ is God, come in the flesh. He was born of the Virgin Mary. He lived a perfect, sinless life. He died on the cross to pay for our sins. He rose from the dead to prove He had conquered sin, death, and hell. When we repent of our sins and receive Him as Savior and Lord, He comes to live in our lives, giving us His peace, joy, righteousness, purpose for living, forgiveness of sins, and eternal life.|
|Creation||Acts and talks as if evolution is a scientific fact and that anyone who disagrees is ignorant. Evolution is the only way he knows of to explain the existence of life, since he denies the existence of God.||Acts and talks in light of the truly scientific evidence (as well as Biblical revelation) that God is the Creator. Often speaks of “the creation” and not just “nature.” The design and complexity of nature proves the intellect of a Designer.|
|The Bible||Considers the Bible of little interest. Believes the Bible to be the work of men. Certainly does not accept it as the Word of God.||Reverences the Bible as the Word of God. Since he believes it is God’s Word, he believes it is worth taking time to read and study it. The Bible outsells millions of times over any other book ever written.|
|Self-Esteem||Sees man as basically good. Thinks that people should feel good about themselves regardless of their behavior. Tries to deal with guilt by positive self-talk.||Realizes that man has a sin nature and tends to do evil things. Realizes that people have great value and worth because we are created in the image of God and for God’s glory. Believes that God has made each person very unique and special and for His glory. Realizes that God has a great purpose for each of us. Believes that through repentance and faith in Christ we can have our sin forgiven and be made into new creatures.|
|Sanctity of Life||Since man is a merely highly evolved animal, some human life is not so special. Supports abortion, euthanasia, and even infanticide in some cases.||Since man is created in the image of God and for the purposes of God, all life is precious. Abortion, euthanasia, and infanticide are considered to be horrific sins.|
|Sin||Rejects the idea of a “sin nature.” Believes that whatever I want to do is ok, as long as it “doesn’t hurt anyone else.” (But is often short sighted in deciding what may hurt someone else!) Tendency to rationalize that all behavior that I wish to do is acceptable.||We are all guilty of violating God’s standards. All of us have sinned. But we can be forgiven and cleansed in Christ. God declares me to be forgiven and gives me His righteousness as a gift when I agree with Him about my sin.|
|Goals||Since this physical life is all there is, my goal is to get as much happiness and gain as many things as I can before time runs out and I cease to exist.||Lives in light of Eternity. Makes decisions on the basis of what will bring God the most glory. Realizes that this life is ultimately very brief compared to eternity. (As a by-product of living to bring God glory, one experiences great joy, peace, contentment, and fulfillment)|
|Sex||Since man is only a highly evolved animal, sexual gratification is not to be denied as long as it “doesn’t hurt anyone.” (Again, the humanist is often short sighted about what kinds of behavior “hurt” others.)||Realizes that sex is a gift from God, who created us as sexual beings. Realizes that, when used as God intended (i.e., within a marriage relationship), sex can bring great joy to a husband and wife. But also realizes that when used in ways God did not intend that it can lead to great harm. Even though sex outside marriage may “feel good” for the moment, it inevitably leads to frustration, disappointment, and deep emotional pain and regrets.|
|Sexual Deviancy||Since man is merely an animal, no sexual acts should be considered improper as long as “it doesn’t hurt anyone.”||Since God created sex to be a holy picture of the relationship between Christ and the church, only heterosexual sex between a husband and wife is acceptable to God. Other sexual behaviors are perversions of that picture.|
|Moral Relativism||Humanists believe some things are right for some people and some situations that may be “wrong” for other people and other situations. There is no absolute right and wrong. Everything depends on the situation.||Believes that God has established some things as absolutely right and others as absolutely wrong. If God says that certain behavior is sin, it is wrong for us to convince ourselves that the behavior is really okay.
We all must make good choices!
Can humanist explain over two billion adherents? How can God’s Church remain the most ancient and enduring of all social structures?
But the truth is, God exists, and we do need Him. Despite the claims of secular humanism, the Bible is God’s truth. John 17:17 As believers living in a secular society, we must “become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as Lights in the world”, as you hold firmly to the Word of life (the Bible). Philippians 2:15-16
“Whom you shine as Lights in the world”…and holds firmly to the Bible are the operative words.
Explain this “Light”?
You are the Light of the world. Matthew 5:14 For you were sometimes darkness, but now are you Light in the Lord. Ephesians 5:8
For for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. Philippians 2:13
Could it be that we receive and depend on the grace of God from the spiritual world of which you may deny?
God’s grace or good-will to us is the cause of his good work in us. This grace actually accelerates and connects with our endeavors. It is the will of God that believers will have great reason to become joyful. “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35
Everyone has a Restless Heart.
St. Augustine makes a striking observation, “for You have formed us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in You.” Of course, the natural question to ask is how we can rest in the Lord.
He gives us a clear answer. He says: “What I know of myself I know only because you shed Light on me.” Reflection is not solitary; we have to reflect with God. It is a prayer.
Prayer does not always have to be recited from the back of a card. Some of the most beautiful prayer is when we reflect with God, when we open up ourselves to Him and just talk to Him and listen to Him in our hearts.
Unhappily, humanism fails to satisfy man’s capacity to engage in higher forms of spiritual order.
It is Not Your Fault!
Your past may be clouded. You may have been through a terrible ordeal. You may have trouble forgiving others or even yourself. You are not alone: many others are suffering for different other reasons.
There is such a thing as demonic (negative energies for the layman) influence that manipulates us because we have allowed a small gap in our spiritual life. We are not talking about demons around every corner—only those which God has allowed to sway people for one reason or another. These reasons are varied: unforgiveness, abuse, trauma (PTSD), ungodly or superstitious beliefs, capital sins, even generational disorders for which you are innocent, but came to you from your forefathers.
Some of the signs could be fear, depression, addictions, anger, lust or suicidal. Even physical health problems are a sign: the word, “dis-ease” suggests the stress involved in illness. If a disease can’t be cured, it is almost always an evil spirit that is causing it.
That is where the Light of God comes in: “Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness.” Matthew 9:35
Is it possible that you may be healed either physically or mentally?
“He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” 1 Peter 2:24. Peter healed in the name of Jesus about 2000 years ago and many Christian healers are doing the same today.
Do you suppose that one of the reasons that Christianity really took off was because of this spiritual Light? Did people see plenty of evidence of God’s mercy and God’s LIGHT (grace)?
Built to Fail
John Paul II was congratulated for the fall of Communism. He replied “Getting rid of that Mickey Mouse system was no miracle. It was a matter of time. It was built to fail.”
The Soviets had a large army, more nuclear weapons even than the United States, a ruthless police system and dictatorial state apparatus, compliant satellites in Eastern and Central Europe, outposts in Cuba, Africa, Asia, and Central America. And yet, all that was as dust, as time passed, and its incompatibility with human and divine things brought it down.
Schemes obviously built to fail will fail. Make no mistake about the ultimate outcome of this war. God will be victorious.
The statistics seem to think otherwise: in the United States the unaffiliated are predicted to increase from 16.4% to 25.6%. If you were God and you knew this situation, would you do something to get people`s attention?
The next time you see something happening to our world that was unnatural, think that this must be of God: He wants to get our attention.
HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED HOW TO BECOME A CHRISTIAN?
- Christians don’t shout, “I am clean living!” They whisper “I was lost, but now I’m found and forgiven.”
- Christians don’t speak of this with pride. They confess that they stumble and need Christ to be their guide.
- Christians don’t say,” I’m strong.” They say they are trying to be strong because they are really weak and need strength.
- Christians don’t brag of success, but they admit that they are failing and they need God to clean up the mess.
- Christians don’t claim to be perfect. Their flaws are far too visible but God believes they are worth it.
- Christians still feel the sting of pain and they have their share of headaches but they call upon His Name.
- Christians are not holier than thou. They are also simple sinners who receive God’s unbelievable Grace.
Christianity on a Table Napkin:
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
God the Father will wipe every tear from our eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, crying out or pain. We will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is The Holy Spirit will have made all things new. Eternal joy will have begun. “For the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is His name.” Luke 1: 49
Are we not like Barabbas justly condemned for murder, but saved by the innocent Jesus on the cross? Are we not like the adulterous woman, deserving of death by stoning, to whom Jesus says, “I do not condemn you”? And Jesus saved them both. In fact, Jesus came to earth specifically to look for and save those who were lost.
“Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the LORD.
“Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. Isaiah 1:18
You may need some counselling with a pastor, priest or competent Christian worker, who will introduce you to this Short Course on Who is Jesus? Start by reading the Gospel according to John: It is all about love and you will love it. Read several verses before going to bed and read the same verse upon arising. Soaking yourself in the love of God defends you from attacks of the enemy
Healing and Deliverance (Ctrl + Click to follow Link)
- Abuse and Trauma
- A Vision of Hell
- Breaking Free of Controlling Spirits
- Can a Smart Person believe in God
- Cigarette and Drug Bust
- Deliverance from Depression
- Deliverance from Drugs and Addiction
- Deliverance from Prison
- Deliverance PowerPoint
- Divine Healing
- Do you Know an Alcoholic?
- Don’t be Afraid of Fear
- Gluttony is Not Merely Overeating
- God’s Protection and Blessing
- Healing and Deliverance General Information
- Healing and Deliverance Instructions
- Healing Hands: Father Melvin Doucette
- Healing of Relationships
- How to Keep Your Healing Once you have Received it
- Insomnia and Deliverance
- Jesus Cures a Blind Man at Bethsaida
- Joy and Sorrow
- Let’s Start
- Lust and its Brother Pornography
- Physical Healing
- Power of Healing
- Prisoner of Unforgiveness
- The Healing Power of Jesus
- The High Stakes of Gambling Addiction
- Three Ways of Self-Deliverance
- Ungodly Soul Ties
- Ungodly Superstitious Beliefs
- Your Part
Where do we go from here?
- 12 Functions of the Holy Spirit
- At the Name of Jesus every Knee should Bow
- Baptized in the Spirit: Being Born Again
- Born Again for Dummies
- Does God have a Special Place in His Heart for Canada?
- Embracing the Call
- From Sea to Sea: Nations keeping God’s Law
- God Wants You!
- God’s Will for YOU
- I Can’t Find God: an Anguish Cry!
- I Have a Right to my own Opinion
- Is there Life after Death?
- JESUS IS MY LORD
- Jesus Says to Come to Me – I Will Make You Happy.
- Joy and Sorrow
- Knowing God
- Life After Near-Death Experiences
- Life can be wonderful but brief
- Living in Glory
- Meditation and Contemplation
- Pathway to Holiness
- Release in the Spirit
- Something Wonderful is about to Happen!
- Spirituality for Dummies
- Suffering does not Rob you of Joy
- The Blood of Jesus Christ
- The Difference between Christianity
- The Faith Factor: We Cannot Please God without Faith:.
- THE HOLY SPIRIT: the Principal Agent of Mission
- The Life and Person of the Holy Spirit
- The Name of Jesus
- The Million Dollar Question
- The Person and Work of The Holy Spirit
- THE PROPHETIC FULFILLMENT
- The Seven Words of Jesus on the Cross
- The Word of God
- Trauma and Abuse
- We Reap what We Sow
- Welcome to God
- What Does God Really Want?
- What does it mean to be HOLY?
- What Is the Difference Between Spirit and Soul?
- What’s Your SQ?
- Who Am I In Christ?
- Who do they say that I am?
- Why Pray?
- World Missions
- Would you like to be Baptized in the Holy Spirit?
AFRICA RENEWED supported by:
- A Micro Hydro Electric System: no dams: HugENERGY.us
- An Irrigation System: NORTHydro.com
- A Rabbit and Fish Farm: AfriCAPITALISM.us
- An Agroforestry Intercrop System: LivingWaterIs.com
- The Charitable Arm: SunnyUp.net
- Living Water Micro Finance: LivingWaterMicroFinance.org
- Thunder of Justice: ThunderofJustice.com